Next: “LA X” (Episode 6-01/02)

“LA X” was a fitting opener to the final season of “LOST.” It had a reassuring focus on character with a generous topping of mythology. It had moments of strong emotional resonance, and a few gasp-worthy reveals. And it sets the stage for the epic battle between Jacob and the Man In Black that has apparently simmered beneath much of what we’ve been studying for the past several years. Sure, with yet another storytelling “twist,” we have no idea what’s going on… but since when has that been a problem?

Okay. So Jen’s a little nonplussed with the “parallel storyline” structure, and I can see why. On one hand, it’s clever. We get to see both outcomes of the Jughead argument. And the little differences we spot range from amusing hat-tips to a deeper exploration of a person’s fate. On the other, it seems just a little cheap to not commit to one answer… at least this late in the game. It also raises the troubling specter of having to switch between two worlds for several more episodes, when we really want the writers to just pick a path and let the rubber finally, finally hit the road.

And intellectually, I can see many reasons to dismiss or even dislike the universe where Oceanic Flight 815 lands safely in Los Angeles. Through that lens, they’ve thrown out five years of character development and regression. So I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Sure, some of the touches were more fan bait than plot (Frogurt at the taxi stand, Doctor Arzt being annoying), but other moments felt right: Jack and Locke talking at the airport lost and found, with Jack taking interest in Locke’s condition. Jin returning to his darker, meaner self, and Sun already rebelling. Sawyer flirting with Kate, but more tellingly, not interfering with her escape from the airport. Hurley being confident and lucky. And Charlie, once running from death, now almost exhaustedly chasing it. I guess I’m more curious about the “what if” scenario than I thought I was.

Besides. The island is underwater? A development that comes about sometime after New Otherton is built? (A development that, sadly, could’ve used a few more days in the CGI rendering farm?) Just like watching a magic show, independent of everything else, I now simply have to see how they explain that. My guess is that it sank when Ben moved the island, a moment that is at the other end of whatever branching we’re now seeing. But I can’t even begin to explain what I actually mean.

Meanwhile, the new on-island world (universe, storyline, timeline, what have you) so far certainly seems to be custom-built to feed the fans obsessed with the mythology of the show. “I’m sorry you had to see me like that,” says Unlocke, while Richard says, incredulously, “You!” If the Man in Black and the smoke monster are one and the same, we now have a whole new prism through which to reexamine the last five seasons. I only hope things hold up under such scrutiny.

Learning what was in the guitar case so early in the season was a pleasant surprise, and the giant Ankh was certainly an impressive prop, regardless of the fact that a sealed envelope would’ve probably worked just as well.

Finally, we see the temple, and meet a whole new group of characters. It’s a good thing Hiroyuki Sanada is so good at being mysterious, because these original recipe Others (shunning technology and performing rituals) could very well have been too much, too late. Instead, Sanada seemed a perfect disciple and ally of Jacob, and through him, the Others again seemed to be a tribe to be reckoned with. An intimidating air that was reminiscent of the first two seasons, before Kate found the costumes.

What of the temple spring? Apparently it’s supposed to heal, as the Island itself does, though that power went missing as the water turned cloudy. Sayid, instead of being revived, apparently died. But that was likely always Jacob’s plan. I bet that Jacob now has a new agent or vessel in Sayid, given the unfamiliar voice with which Sayid asked, “What happened?”

But with word that Jacob is dead, the Others at the Temple prepare for battle with “him.” Their flare alerts Alpert, who’s sadly pummeled by Unlocke/Man In Black, and I guess the battle is on.

Notes and Notions:

• I guess we had to get “closure” with Juliet, but having to basically see her die twice was wrenching. Josh Holloway, hands down, gave the performance of the evening.
  • From beyond the grave, Juliet says, “It worked.” So can she see the other timeline? Is it even, really, another timeline? After all, in Los Angeles, it’s 2004. On the island, it’s 2007 or so. Maybe the writers can somehow connect the two into one single timeline? Does that even make sense?
  • The Man in Black’s tribute to the late John Locke was a bittersweet one. He spoke the truth about our sad, defeated friend, and our would-be hero. But perhaps not surprisingly, Terry O’Quinn’s “menacing” look is incredibly effective, and I’ll gladly let John Locke go in favor of seeing what the actor does with a whole new soul.
  • The Man in Black wants to get off the island, and go “home.” I guess it’s fair to ask where or what “home” is, but I think the real story is why he (and likely Jacob) are trapped on the island. His reference to Alpert’s chains, meanwhile, hint strongly at the suspected link between Alpert and the Black Rock.
  • Hurley can see Jacob, but Jin can’t, though Jacob touched them both. Therefore, Hurley is special, and seeing the dead is simply his thing. Indeed, he seems almost too suddenly fine with it, barely reacting when Jacob tells him he died three hours prior, and talking warmly to the recently deceased Sayid. Miles, too, got to let his freak flag fly, and this time his communion with the dead came with a great deal of dramatic flourish. Sometimes, I can’t believe this is the same show we were watching in Season 1.
  • Great lighter moments. Hurley saying he knows how to use a gun, or arguing about trademarking the word “Outback.” Locke telling Boone he’s not pulling his leg, and Boone telling Locke he’d follow him to stay safe on a plane. And, of course, a Sawyer nickname: Earhart.
  • Richard said, “Asking me what’s in the shadow of the damn statue doesn’t mean you’re in charge.” He flippantly referred to a line that, up until now, was infused with significance and weight. Kind of like, “Live together, die alone.”
  • Fun with pointy things! Jack was again looking for a pen to save someone’s life. And how great is it that a character named Bram dies via a stake through his heart?
  • Book: “Fear and Trembling” by Soren Kierkegaard, a retelling of the biblical story of Abraham sacrificing Isaac.
  • Locations: The Temple interior is on the Hawaii Film Studio sound stage, but the impressive exterior is in Manoa Valley. The plane interior, and the collapsed hatch tunnel, was also on the studio lot. The Swan site is in the jungles of Heeia Kea in Kaneohe, and the foot of the four toed statue was Makua Beach. LAX is, of course, Honolulu International Airport.

We’d love your feedback for our podcast this weekend! Comment below, e-mail us at lost@hawaiiup.com, or call the LOSTLine at 815-310-0808.

397 Responses to “Next: “LA X” (Episode 6-01/02)”

1. Kirsten Hansen (fka HeyKir in NYC) says:

Oh yeah… and I loved seeing another Deadwood alum on Lost! The translator for the Sensei Other was John Hawkes, who played Sol Starr (Sherrif Bullock’s friend) !!

2. Yann From France says:

@Russell: WAW! Yes! Turning the safekey to explode the pocket of energy… that’s what Desmond and Juliet have in commun. That could totally explain how she knew things had change.

3. Rich in Cleveland says:

X could be an unknown as well, as in Mr. X or planet X. The titles on Lost in particular are invested with meaning and double entendre. I don’t see how anyone could say the X was insignificant.

4. Joe in Texas says:

@Connie in Oregon – Hey, I was wondering about you! Kept looking for Alaska! lol

@Russell – I too am thinking, why “LA X” and not “LAX”? Could the “X” be the Roman numeral, 10? Then what about the “LA”? OR Could it be a four letter word, third letter missing? Doesn’t even have to be an English word! An acronym maybe?

5. Dave from So Cal says:

Possible theories/observations:

1) MIB, Eloise Hawking and Charles Widmore are in cahoots.

2) Christian Sheppard was also inhabited by the MIB, not Jacob. He, Christian, did after all help Locke go back to return the Oceanic 6 to the Island. Which gave him his “loophole.”

3) Eloise Hawking said to Jack that Dead Locke would be taking the place of his father on the Agea Flight. Locke, as we know, became MIB on his return to the Island.

4) I think Widmore is in on it too considering how much he helped Locke try to recruit the others back to the Island.

6. DaRealDeal says:

I don’t think the timelines are meant to cross! I just think the producers are going to show us what would have happened and how their lives would still intersect even if they never crashed a question I know more than a few people have wondered.

They blew the Island up in 1977 even though they flashed back to present day WE DON’T know what repercussions that has had on the island and it is probably the cause as to why the Island sank. As you can see New Otherton was built, So the REAL question is not why the Island sank, but WHEN did it sink?

7. Carol from Boston says:

@Russell – I like the way you are thinking, I think it is a pretty valid theory.

New Question: When Jack gave his name to the temple others, it looked liked they paused for a minute, and that his name was more important and they recognised it. Did anybody else catch this?

I have to find the time to watch this episode again and keep in mind what you all have said. (If I can remember it all! whew)

@Yann – are you in France now? Did they show it there at the same time as here or do you watch it on itunes or something? Just curious because I thought they might delay the premiere in other countries.

8. Yann From France says:

@Carol: Well… the fact that I don’t have an HD version of this video to check if Desmond has ring or not kind of means that I don’t have “valid” ways to see it as soon as you guys! I am desperate to wait for 1-a French dub awful version on a national network (Near July at 23h-00h! if they do broadcast it this year) 2-THE BLU RAYS!
    I think you asked me how many time I watch an episode: once couple of days after the diffusion, second during the WE, third when they are broadcast in France and forth DVD (and fifth and six, 8 15 16 23 42…)

9. Joe says:

I got to lunch with Ryan yesterday, then lost in the evening, sweet! Full immersion

I watched the “cliff notes” edition then the season premiere. Must say reading here really helped me to “connect the dots” and see the hidden nuances of the show from your comments!

Thanks, I will be back now that I’m a fan too! Hopefully more to contribute next time

10. Dj says:

The voice that came out of Sayid was that of Desmond!!

11. John Fischer says:

Cat – “But John Fisher, where are your comments? I always look forward to seeming them the day after along with Connie, Paintergirl etc.”

Thanks, Cat. I’m still trying to digest these two episodes. I’ll rewatch both tonight with my wife who has to go to bed at 9:00 p.m. to get up at 5:00 a.m.

The biggest question for me is “why the parallel universe?” By that I don’t mean why does it exist. It exists because of what Juliet did which caused a new branch in time to spring forth at that moment in 1977. In that universe the island sank, hopefully slowly, since I’m hoping we see some of the Dharma folks in the new 2004 world, especially Ben.

Why are the writers/producers showing us this parallel universe? What are we to make of it other than it being either an interesting or for some folks boring distraction from the story on the island that we’re all most interested in. It has to serve some purpose in the overall series and we only have a scant number of episodes to learn what.

Will the folks in the parallel universe live happier lives? Will they live similar lives ending mostly in unhappiness? Will they somehow come to remember their island universe and use those experience and lessons learned to live more fulfilled lives? Will the two universes somehow come back together or will the folks in one of them die while the others live?

At this point, I just don’t know and I can’t even begin to guess.

My big questions from my first viewing:

1) where is the “home” for the smoke monster/Flocke/MIB that he wants to return to? How come Jacob was able to leave the island but his enemy seems confined to the island? If he is confined, who was the Christian that came to Jack in the hospital? Was that Jacob? Have both the Man in Black and Christian taken the forms of other people to advance their agenda?

2) how did Sayid come back to life? Is he still the same Sayid or different? Is it even Sayid at all?

3) who really is good and who really is evil or is there even a clear answer? I’m starting to suspect that Jacob is not all that good and the Man-in-Black/Smoke Monster not all that bad. He gave Bram a chance to just leave the statue’s interior. He only killed them when Bram shot at him. He kills after judging people (most of the time.) On the other hand, Jacob’s minions aka the Others killed many of the folks on Oceanic 815 in cold blood and for no obvious reason. His people are not all that good when you think about it.

4) has Sawyer now totally lost all of the humanity he had gained before Juliet’s death. Will he now be so overcome with anger that nothing can save him?

5) are we to believe that Richard has never seen the smoke monster in all of the years since he first met the Man in Black when he, Richard, was in chains?

6) were there really 2 smoke monsters all along – one the Man in Black, the other Jacob?

I think I enjoyed the two episodes. I’m just not that sure yet.

12. Yann From France says:

@Nels: Mikhail was russian and didn’t come from “a different time period”

13. Hi Ryan & Jen! Overall I was pleased with the episode but had a few questions.

1- If the man in black was the smoke monster all along, and has been flying through the temple throughout all these seasons, why are the people of the temple afraid of him now?? Is it because Jacob was protecting them from him this whole time?

2- Why have Juliet survive that crazy explosion if she was going to die anyways? Do Damon & Carlton enjoy making us suffer??

3- Does Desmond remember what happened before the bomb, being that the rules don’t apply to him?? And where did he go after Jack came back from the bathroom??

I think Richard being in chains was a reference to him being a slave of Jacob. The man in black broke the chains of his servitude when he had Jacob killed. Can’t wait to see what happens next!!

14. Mattfromnd says:

I’ve seen a lot of people on other lost sites complaining about the cgi in the underwater scene. I say, who cares? I’d rather they not waste a ton of time and money on a 20 second scene. That time and money is better spent on important stuff.

15. LINDA ROMERO says:

WHAT HAPPEN TO SHANON ON THE AIRPLANE, SHE SHOULD OF BEEN ON THE PLANE WITH HER BROTHER. AND DESMOND DON’T GET ME STARTED, HE SHOULD OF NEVER BEEN ON THE PLANE. I SIMPLE LOVE/HATE THIS SHOW. CAN’T WAIT TELL NEXT WEEK!

16. NuckinFuts says:

I always wished that we would hear more from Donovan’s discussion with his student / colleague ( He’s the other physicist that Desmond goes to in to a in “Flashes Before Eyes” ) before he was found by Desmond:

DONOVAN: Your thesis is a bit neat. The wild card part which is unpredictability — run the same test 10 times — you’ll 10 different outcomes. It’s what makes life so wonderfully…

DESMOND: [entering] Donovan!

DONOVAN: Case in point, who could have known that a drenched Scotsman would appear in this rotunda?

Desmond knows this physicist Donovan but his background did not suggest wealth / scientific study / college / etc. …I wonder if Donovan knew Faraday? I wonder if they were playing their own games with Des.?

17. Reg in WA says:

Could it be that these aren’t really different time lines? Oceanic 815 is not the same as it was the first time, after all. Desmond? No Shannon (who did she not break up with, anyway?)? No Walt and Michael? No Eko? Sun and Jin not being married? When you start to count them up, there are so very many differences.

Oy.

18. Carol from Boston says:

@Yann – Desmond is wearing a gold ring on his ring finger, though I can’t tell if it is a wedding ring or not. It is only show for a second when he gets up to let Jack in to sit down. Is there a screen shot on Dark UFO?

@Nuckinfuts – good catch on the Donovan comment.

That is why I wondering about the cloth found in the cabin by Alana, if it is the same one cut from fake locke after Jacob died. That would mean that it already had happened before.

I think I should stop trying to come up with theories so early, this could all change next week.

When fake locke was talking about Locke’s sad life and what he was thinking when he was dying, made me so sad, Locke was so earnest about making a difference and instead he got played by Fake Locke and Ben. At least in the flash sideways he seems happy.

19. paintergirl1 says:

It’s so great to be back! I’m one to read all the comments before adding my own, so it took a while to get caught up :).

I loved the episode and especially the music. I felt like I was on a rollercoaster as the camera panned from the plane, through the clouds, and into the water. This was not because of the CGI, but because of the awesome percussion Michael Giacchino scored for this scene.

One point I haven’t heard mentioned yet: Was anyone else surprised that Jacob recommended that they enter the temple through the same hole where Montand lost his freakin’ arm? At least in the 80’s, smokey was able to enter this area. I don’t think the temple can be MiB’s home for this reason. I also felt that Rousseau’s team’s sickness came from entering this hole, and it was actually “smokey” calling to the team using Montand’s voice. How do we reconcile these two uses of the temple entrance?

I agree that Juliette must have had a glimpse at the LA X reality when she commented that they should go dutch for coffee. It reminded me of “I can’t have chocolate before supper” from Charlotte. I have a feeling we’ll hear about Juliette’s coffee later this season. That would explain why “it worked.”

I worry with the juxtaposition of Locke’s dead body to Sayid’s before his resurrection that they’ll try to somehow revive the real Locke. As much as I loved this character, I feel he’s done. I sort of like “Dead is Dead” and “Whatever Happened, Happened.” I guess those concepts are suffering a bit at this point.

20. Isn’t “New Otherton” just Dharmaville after Dharma left?

I figure the island sank when the bomb went off.

Which means all the influences of the island disappear from that point forward.

Michael probably died in the car accident, so who knows what happened to Walt.

Not enough information yet… can’t wait until the next episode!

I hope they answer: Why does smokey sound like clanking gears when he gets mad?

21. Rich in Cleveland says:

@Nuckin
    Love the notice of Donovan’s conversation especially as it relates to the macrocosm of what’s going on. Jacob’s design has created a separate timeline to produce another outcome or else the spring of life would cease and that would be the end of us.

In quantam mechanics, every possible outcome exists at the same time as I understand it. What we measure is really only the probablility of a single outcome. I’ll have to delve back into a brief history of time or Kaku’s “Physics of the Impossible” (a good choice on audible.com if they carry it.) to see what might happen if alternate universes meet.

@ Carol. Loved the cloth idead, but it would mean it would have to be carried back in time to the cabin to be placed there so it could be found by Jacob’s praetorian guard. (Ilana, Bram, & co.)

Put me down as decidedly against Sayid as a reincarnated Jacob. For one thing, this theory comes from the belief that MIB has possessed bodies to achieve his incarnations. I don’t think this is the case. In the most obvious example, Locke’s actual body is lying on the beach. Also, Ben underwent the same ordeal and he seems to represent only himself, a man with a choice of whether or not to kill the one who watches over us all.

Come to think of it though, is it not Locke’s lifeless body that at this very moment literally rests in the shadow of the statue?

22. Ervic from California says:

Interesting that Jacob told them to bring Sayid to the temple instead of Juliet. It looked like the Others had to actually kill Sayid first before he could be reincarnated with Jacob’s soul. Why couldn’t they just try to give medical help to Sayid and resurrect Jacob in Juliet’s already dead body? Seems kind of heartless to kill Sayid just to use his body.

Regardless, it was a great episode. Need to watch it over to get full appreciation.

23. John Fischer says:

I just thought of this. Jacob told Hurley to tell Jin to take them to where there’s a hole in the wall of the temple where he was with the French team. How did Jacob know about that incident unless he was there. Maybe he was the one that tore the arm off the Frenchman. I am really starting to suspect that Jacob is not nearly as good as we may think.

24. Kirsten Hansen (fka HeyKir in NYC) says:

@John Fischer re:”I am really starting to suspect that Jacob is not nearly as good as we may think.”

I COMPLETELY agree!!!

25. Amber from Utah says:

Jacob is Jacob of Israel, and the MIB is his brother Esau. Here’s why:

In “Room 23” when Ben was trying to brainwash Carl, the TV said “God loves you as he love Jacob.” This is a reference to the book of Malachi in the Old Testament. Malachi ch. 1 verse 2-3 (God speaking): “I have loved you, saith the Lord. Yet ye say, Wherein hast thou loved us? Was not Esau Jacob’s brother? saith the Lord: yet I loved Jacob, And I hated Esau, and laid his mountains and his heritage waste for the dragons of the wilderness.”

Boom. Done.

26. Rich in Cleveland says:

AJ is the villain of the piece, the Cobra alluded to in Hurley’s Expose comment or the force referenced by Charlie singing “He’s Evil.” (waaay back for that one.) AJ wanted to kill Jacob and dispose of humanity from the first moment we saw him. He only refrains from killing because that better serves his plan to end the grand experiment all at once.

We know Smokey has killed and Smokey=Flocke so he’s perfectly capable if need be. He just doesn’t want to reveal himself lest that awareness lead to a loophole of his own.

Ah! It just occurred to me that the word loophole may have some extra significance. I was just thinking of it in the most cliche terms, but perhaps the literal looping of time has opened a hole in the magic box.

27. Angela in Aus says:

I believe all our losties who are now on the plane in the flash have had the island experience… i also believe that little by little they will encounter things which will trigger their memories of the island Desmond Style as in “Flashes before your eyes”.

28. Bonita in Atlanta says:

@Tom W like that wikipedia input
    @Faraway J – Princess Bride is one of my top 5 movies ever
    @ Russell in Ca – like the LA-X idea a lot

29. Carol from Boston says:

@Ryan and Jen- new Header for your website “The Transmission, as seen on Nightline” Congratulations!

30. Jan says:

Anyone notice that the scratch on Jack’s neck is in the same place as Faraday’s Dharma shootout wound? Probably just a coincidence.

31. Mirepoix from Mtl says:

Was sound as bad as it was here ? We kept missing a few replies distinctlively

Here are a few things picked up from the HD ultra slowmo replay
    Desmond do is wearing a ring in his left hand
    In addition, he is reading a Salman Rushdie book (title not visible)
    Revive Said’s voice was similar to his usual voice and accent, only that scrappy and mushy voice of someone waking up…

I havent time to compare the seating in 815 to episode 1
    but is seems obvious that it is not similar
    although Rose do is sitting next to Jack
    Could it be that the consequences of these differences (no coffin) refer to the differences between A316 and O815 ? Hence the variability of results…

Questions
    Why is False Locke so deliberately take care of wiping Jacob’s blood with a torn Jacob cloth instead of on his own clothes ?
    Anyone noticed the Kate eye-opeing scene ? Any special meaning, since it was Jack’s eye we have been seeing open after an explosion ?
    Anyone noticed the moss (or seeweed) grown on the base of the statue foot ?
    It obviously had been under water for a while…

Predictions now
    Maybe Kate will wind up with Aaron anyway (after becoming friend with Claire)
    The Lax Losties are in 2004
    They have 3 years to reach the Island in 2007
    Why wont they board A316 again ? and have a different scenario play out… because of different flight content (like Locke not being dead)
    Locke not being dead would result in forcing MIB having to choose another body…
    Somehow we can see stories play out
    like Jack fix Locke Hurley being conned by Sawyer
    and dont forget that there should be plenty of people looking for our Losties in 2004 like Bram and Ilana & Heloise and Widmore

Cant wait to hear the posdcast

32. Knives Monroe says:

STOP SAYING SAYID isn’t SAYID!!
    YES HE IS!!!
    YES HE IS!!!!!

::rips shirt::

33. Suzanne in Tucson says:

I don’t think the John Locke on Oceanic 815 is lying about going on a walkabout. There are already several differences between what we saw in LA X and the Pilot, so why not that? The flash-sideways Locke is not the depressed, “don’t tell me what I can’t do” version, but a relatively peaceful guy doing the best he can with the unfortunate hand he was dealt. This is further displayed by the way he is able to comfort Jack about his father’s missing body. It will be very interesting to see if Locke calls Jack for that consult.

On another note, I also think the spring in the temple is somehow tied to Jacob. The water looked almost red when we first see it, perhaps symbolizing Jacob’s death. What is so significant about water when it comes to Jacob and Man in Black/Smokey? In season 5, we saw Ben pull the plug on an ancient drain in his basement to summon the smoke monster. Is this a coincidence?

Ryan & Jen – thanks for all your hard work, can’t wait to hear your thoughts throughout the season.

34. Carol from Boston says:

@everyone who wants to compare the original flight of 815 to the current one. This is a great you tube video of the original crash in real time, it has everything that is happening on flight and on the island. It’s really great, the detail is amazing, he uses split screens. So watch that and then rewatch last night’s flight.

35. the girl from tallahasee says:

Hmmmmm. Loved it!!!!!!

Comments

I think that the underwater scene was so fake-looking and stupid. It was worse than the fake submarine.
    Anyone remember around Season 2 when some of the Losties are hiding in the bushes and they see a group of bare, dirty feet walking by? I think that it was the “Other ‘Others’ ” if that makes any sense. I really don’t get those people behind the temple.
    So many questions have been answered – to some extent – in this premiere. We now know the purpose of Ilana and her groupies, the ring of ash (Did y’all notice someone sprinkling ash around the real temple once they had heard that Jacob was dead?), what or who Smokey is, where Zach and Emma went, what the temple is, why Richard brought Ben there. Again, these questions are only half answered. There’s still so much reasoning to why they have happened for us to truly understand them. (Okay, rambling muchhh?)
    I was soo disapointed to Desmond on that plane. I’m sorry.
    I can’t help but feel cheated that there’s two alternate timelines. Like, its WAAAYY TOO LATEE for them to be having something that important when theres WAAAYY TOO MANNNY other questions to be answered. I ended up loving the episode, but I think that it’s still a little too out there.
    Uhhhggg, I hate being patient.
    Soory, Knives Monroe, but I think Sayid IS Jacob, or at least not himself, which sucks cuz I loved his character. Also, did y’all notice the Season Six Promo Poster, based on the Last Supper? Sayid is in the Judas spot. Also, under the table is a skull. Hmmmm. I definately think these are important.
    It sucks that Juliet is dead. I really hate Jack and Kate. They’re such losers, they belong together.
    So what Juliet said when she died, like something about meeting someone for coffee or whatever, and then IT WORKED?? Hmmm. I think that she and Sawyer will meet up in an alternate timeline. They better.
    I also strongly believe that Claire and Kate will get to be friends, and then she’ll give “Goober” to Kate so they can continue pressing buttons in elevators together.
    I’m very interested in Richard now. CHAINS?? (I’m thinking Blackrock, darlings.)
    Gosh, smokey is a real *****.
    I think that: The reason Widmore was banished was because he found out about the “Magical Fountain”, so now he wants to find it again.
    And what about the rules he and Ben had, ehh?
    Anyone remember the Hurley Bird? Will we find out what that is ever???)
    And what about Christian n’ Claire?
    What happened to Rose n’ Bernie when the bomb exploded?
    Jin and Sun are in the same time period now. REUNITE ALREADYYY!!
    Magic Box?
    Skeletonzzzz???
    Anyone remeber those dolls Jack found in the pond/water fall thing near the caves in season 1?
    That white tennis shoe perched percariously on a bush waaaay back in the good ole’ Pilot?
    EEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPP!!! Okay, i went a little crazy. Just had to get it outa my system.
    So many questions, so little time. ta ta for now.

– the girl from tallahasee

36. I really liked that they had Greg Grunberg as the voice of the pilot of Flight 815. It was a nice touch to keep the same actor, even though he wasn’t seen. For another Heroes connection, the cab driver taking Kate and Claire away from the airport was David H Lawrence XVII, who plays Doyle, the puppetmaster.

I really enjoyed the episode and am looking forward to the rest of the season. It looks as though we will be getting a ton of both character and mythology. Good times had by all!

37. Amber from Utah says:

I changed my mind. Sayid is Sayid, NOT JACOB. I replayed it with earphones in and the volume very loud. It is definitely his voice, just groggy from being out so long.

38. Fernando says:

For those who missed the interview of Carlton and Damon in the Jimmy Kimmel Live show after the SEason 6 premiere, here’s this:
    I really hope this clarifies a few things for many of you, such as Sayid not being Jacob.
    BTW, I believe that Sayid did die (dead is dead, right?). And whatever or whoever is now using his body, it is NOT Jacob.

39. Knives Monroe says:

@ Amber from Utah

Right? I feel the same way!!!

40. Ernie says:

One more thought and a question. When we switched from one timeline or reality to the other the distinctive rumbling sound was quite different. Normally we hear either a crescendo when we have a flashback or flashforward. This was distinctly different, not a straight crescendo or decrescendo but more like an uneven wave of crescendo and decrescendos.

This sound isn’t an accident and I think we are being told something about how we are flashing. Clearly this is more sideways from one timeline to another. I thought it was a very nice touch.

My related question is about what we’ve heard in seasons past. Did we here a crescendo when flashing back then a decrescendo when jumping back to the present. Assuming we did have this sonic mirror image, then was this presented to us as a clue during the first flash forward at the end of season 3. In other words does a crescendo always mean forward and a decrescendo always mean backwards? I’ll have to break out the DVDs and see if this holds any water.

If it does, does the sound we are hearing now tell us anything beyond the somewhat obvious that this is neither a flashback nor a flashfoward.

Thanks for the podcast.

Ernie

41. ManilaRaf says:

Just in case anyone wants to see the Nightline segment, it’s available in the US on Hulu.com under ABC Nightline.

I recommend watching it. Aside from seeing Ryan & Jen’s shoutout, you see some nice behind the scenes footage.

42. jesse says:

Wait, how did Richard see the signal if the signal came from the 70s? WTF? somone please answer this!!!!!!

43. Connie in Oregon says:

What timeline were the temple Others in before Juliet exploded Jughead? Because we see Cindy and the kids, I have to assume that they were with the 2007 timeline, but where were they in 1977? With Widmore’s group in the jungle? How did they get from the book-club, muffin-eating Others led by Ben living in the Barracks in 2004 to the no-nonsense guardians of the sacred temple? Or is this a totally separate group? Were they part of the purge? Were they completely incognito on the Island so that no one knew they were there? The seem to materialize out of nowhere.

44. Tawl says:

Thoughts..

When Jacob died, his spirit went into the spring which colored it dark.. as Sayid was drowning, he gulped in water, which was Jacob’s spirt

Ben and Locke are half-brothers. Look back and follow the path of their “common” mother

Ben and Jacob are working together, with the goal of destroying MIB. Ben is conning MIB and everyone else with a superb acting job.. like he did when he first met the Losties. Except.. he was actually smarter than we thought. He was supposed to kill Jacob.. in order to advance Jacob’s strategy of destroying MIB.

The two time-lines will merge into something that is part of each.. the Island experience will seem like a real dream after they land in LAX

45. Spalz says:

Anyone else notice that the sideways flash seems that most of the people are worse off than the people in on the island? Kate is running from the police, Claire is a hostage, Charlie is in jail (and sad), Locke is locke, Jack seems lost still. Only person that seems better off is Sayid, but hes just came back from the dead, so who knows.

Also when juliet says “it worked” is she now off the island and living in the sideways flash? And it worked meaning she’s off the island, or perhaps she just means that shes dead and when you die, you get off the island?

46. Coolpeace says:

Hello all, first post, but long time listener.

Great episode, loved the direction they took with the story lines. I think they were brillant to have the two timelines… I think that instead of diminishing the characters it is giving us, the audience, a better opportunity for character development, whether it is redemtion, free will or destiny. I think that by having the audience be more aware of the history of these characters that the characters themselves, it affords the writers a great opportunity for storytelling. Bottom line is a still care deeply for these characters and am very interested in what will be happening to them in either time line.

Here are a few observations :

* I loved ascertive Hugo;

* Was Juliet time tripping a la Desmond when asking to go for coffee with Sawyer? Will it happen in the future or ALT time line?

* Jacob seemed really distrubed, shocked, derailed by Sayid’s condition when he first sees him. He had not forseen that.

*At the airport when Jin gets taken away and the female guard asks Sun if she knows any English… she addresses her as Miss Paik. Does that mean that Sun and Jin are NOT married in this time line. So, she may very well be telling the truth about not knowing any English.

*It will be interesting to learn more about Flocke/MIB and Smokey. Chronologically speaking, first he was the MIB, we then see Smokey appearing around the Island and finally we learn that Flocke = MIB = Smokey. Ben told us that he knew how to summon Smokey but could not control it. Like the Temple, the Barracks needed to protect or keep Smokey out. Is no one on Smokey’s side? Was Jacob keeping MIB/Flocke against his will?

Ahhhhh, so many possibilities for great storytelling, and I have absolute confidence that Damon and Carlton will give us a great ride to the finish.

47. Coolpeace says:

@ Jesse

I believe that when the bomb went off, Jin says that they time traveled, we can assume that everyone is now in 2007.

48. Rich in Cleveland says:

@ Ernie
    Great thought on the various sounds and what they attempt to convey. I wish I had more of a natural ear for that aspect of communication which definitely exists. Even beyond the musical framing, I’ve often thought there was an undercurrent of white noise intruding from the reality of which we remain unaware. The ringing in Kate’s ears suggests that they may at last be “waking up” to this. And it’s also worth remembering that sonic waves work just as well as the ring of ash in keeping smokey at bay.

The pan-cultural nature of the island expanded greatly in this episode. Far eastern influences were apparent from the bonsai-working sensei to the seemingly authentic, ancient Chinese bamboo fireworks. But the inner temple itself seemed configured like a central American pyramid or ziggurat. Add to this the Egyptian colossus and hieroglyphics, the Angkor Wat exterior of the temple, Jacob’s Greek patterns, etc and you get the idea that the island was the source of all culture that broke apart and scattered into the larger world. The island is Atlantis!

A few of my favorite Lost-isms could be found in this episode.
    “Open the door”
    “Wake up”
    “Not yet”
    I think “open the door” will prove especially meaningful in the end game of Lost. I somehow think it will be part of the survivors’ exit to salvation. Sawyer suggested that confinement on this rock (synonym for the famous prison) was punishment enough for Jack. And who really has been trying to bring them all back and keep them there? AJ has. AJ was the one who had Richard convince John as he skipped through time that he had to bring them all back. What was the one thing AJ admired about Locke? That he realized how pathetic his life in the outside world was and accepted his fate on the island. Jacob wants them to carry some knowledge or growth away from the island and change one of the core variables. AJ wants to confine them there so that it can all be brought to an end.

Finally, smokey is reticent to kill, but will if necessary. Why Eko and not Ben or Locke? It all seems to boil down to who is “amenable for coercion.”

Defend the island.

49. Steven in Bathurst says:

I thought this premiere was outstanding, particularly the first episode. Where season five felt uneven (albeit exhilarating) at times, with characters serving the plot and poor pacing, the premiere completely nailed it. Three compelling, mind-bending storylines brilliantly executed. I was really impressed.

I have some comments that haven’t been covered above (there’s no point repeating the well-made points or questions made by others above). I noticed in my season 5 finale rewatch that Smokey/MiB actually does kill Jacob. He’s not dead when Ben stabs him. Dying, sure, but not dead. He dies when MiB kicks him into the fire. Thus MiB does kill Jacob, which seems against the ‘rules’. My guess is that this is an oversight in the construction of that scene but considering the importance of the ‘no killing Jacob’ rule, it seems a bit careless.

Smokey seems to have rules of who and how he can kill. If he didn’t, you’d imagine that he would kill everyone on the beach now that Jacob is dead. We’ve already observed that he seems to be able to kill so-called ‘bad’ people. You could also argue that he can kill people who try to kill him (e.g. Bram and co). This explains Richard’s desperate cry to not shoot MiB when he emerges from the foot as Locke.

My feeling is that the temple is MiB’s home. The hole in the wall is not the temple per se, which is why Smokey can be in there when the French team arrive. Perhaps he spends time in that hole because he longs to return home so he spends a lot of time outside its perimeter. Why is Jacob keeping him from the temple? Perhaps because MiB will use its powers for ‘evil’. Perhaps because Jacob is just being a jerk (okay, that might be unlikely).

Has Ben ever been to the temple (apart from his boyhood trip)? Does he know about those Others? My wife and I felt that these Others were perhaps other Others that Ben doesn’t even know about. This is hard to reconcile because we saw Kimberley Joseph’s character (the airline hostess) after her kidnap when Sawyer and Kate were in the bear cages. But these others seem to have an existence independent of the Otherville Others (and presumably their predecessors through Widmore and Eloise). Richard might thus work with both groups on behalf of Jacob. It’s also highly likely (perhaps even obvious) that the temple Others are Black Rockers with immortality like Richard.

Finally, here’s my out-there prediction that will make me seem amazing if accurate but easily forgotten amongst these hundreds of comments if incorrect. Desmond will be on the Black Rock, perhaps as captain. I don’t understand this prediction or why I’m even making it. There’s just something about his specialness, his Britishness, his military background, his sailing prowess and his hair that makes me think that if they wanted to blow our minds when they get round to explaining the Black Rock, having one of our characters on it is a sure way to do that.

50. Noelle says:

My comment is about Christian and what side he is really on. Christian has said he is there( to Locke) for jacob. Whenever we have seen Christian with Locke it was creepy. Wasn’t Christian the one who told Locke he had to die to save the island? Or at least refered to it when Locke turned the wheel. Isn’t it probable that christian is with the dark one who needed Locke to die as part of his plan? Since the dark one is also the smoke monster, which conjured up dead Alex, maybe he is also Christian? Either way I am convinced that Christian is not with Jacob or on his side. When we saw christian in the cabin it was creepy and he was there with creepy Claire. All scenes in the. Abin seed more dark than light even though it was Jacobs cabin. When Alana and her team got to the cabin the ring of ash was broken and once inside she said jacob had not been using the cabin for a long time. We don’t know how long and it did show someone in season 4 stepping over a line in the ground to get to the cabin. I’m wondering if Locke and hurleus experiences at the cabin were really with team dark side ( unlocke) instead of jacob. That is also why I think christan is NOT team Jacob. What do you think? Thanks for your incredible podcast it is so fun!